Is much harder than I thought it would be. I LOVE my children and being a mom. After all, I know it's the most important job there is. But since becoming a mom, I've realized I'm more high maintenance than I thought. And I have less energy than I thought I did, too. And that's ok. That's why I've decided on two children and not five! :)
I saw this quote by Elder Ballard on a friend's blog and it was a great reminder to me and gives me comfort that my struggling is normal.
"First, recognize that the joy of motherhood comes in moments. There will be hard times and frustrating times. But amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction. . . .
Second, don't overschedule yourselves or your children. . . . Families need unstructured time when relationships can deepen and real parenting can take place. Take time to listen, to laugh, and to play together.
Third, even as you try to cut out the extra commitments, sisters, find some time for yourself to cultivate your gifts and interests. Pick one or two things that you would like to learn or do that will enrich your life, and make time for them. Water cannot be drawn from an empty well, and if you are not setting aside a little time for what replenishes
you, you will have less and less to give to others, even to your children."
-M. Russell Ballard (from Hilary Weeks' Bedtime and Naptime..., p.49)
So...what do YOU do to replenish yourself? I've noticed I will go a long time before realizing I haven't done anything, and usually a meltdown is near. You know how people always joke about "getting in touch with your inner child?" My therapist (that sounds so lame) told me a couple months ago that we all need to do this. We need to take time to be as carefree and creative and fun as we were as children. And how good it is for us. Any thoughts?
Friday, June 3, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
That is such a great quote! And that last part is so true..."we need to take time to be as carefree and creative and fun as we were as children." I find when I am with my best friends or even good girl friends from the ward laughing and joking around, it brings me back to myself. And I can totally be myself which is always exactly what I need!
Motherhood is hard, but like your beautiful moment above it is so worth it. What a precious moment you had with your girls that will they will remember forever!
It's all so true. I got that quote out of Hilary Weeks' book, "Bedtime and Naptime and Naptime and Bedtime". It is full of inspiring thoughts and quotes for mothers. I sat and read the entire book from start to finish in about 45 minutes. I highly recommend it if you need that boost every once in a while (which, hello? everyone mother does)!
I think your recent dive into photography is one way you are replenshing yourself. It is so nice to have something to turn to when kids and life in general stress you out. I think your blog is another way you are replenishing yourself. It's good to get your feelings out, and I promise you there are hundreds of other moms out there who are going through a lot of the same things you are and who probably find great comfort in your honesty. I am one of them, in fact!
Hang in there. XO.
Post a Comment