
In May when the girls were home sick from school for way too long, I decided to put on the movie "The Other Side of Heaven" about Elder John Groberg's mission in Tonga in 1953. It is a WONDERFUL movie and I LOVE it! At the end, when the Elder Groberg sadly boards the boat because his mission is over, he takes his sandals off and leaves them there on the doc. It doesn't say why-- it doesn't say if this is to let someone else wear them because of the extreme poverty and they would need them, or if it's a symbolic gesture, since he has completed that chapter, and is now moving on to walk some miles in different shoes. Whatever the case, it reminded me of something neat I hadn't thought about it a long time. Something about my dad. It reminded me of when I went with a teacher, Lynne Moquete, and group from my high school to the Dominican Republic and my dad came with us. We spent weeks in a tiny village called Duverje doing projects such as painting homes and putting roofs on wooden shacks for families. I remembered that when we left, my dad left his boots there for a Dominican man who lived in the village, and who had been helping us work and who likely had no shoes. The boots were pretty new and in great shape. It was really no big deal to my dad, and he did it quietly. I had forgotten all about this thoughtful act of kindness until now. I am so thankful to have a wonderful father who has a generous heart, and who has done countless things like this for others throughout his life. Happy Father's Day, Dad!


And of course, Happy Father's Day to my wonderful husband,
and awesome Father in Law Byron!
No comments:
Post a Comment