Friday, August 26, 2011

Friday Night

Alan took Emma to Roseville tonight to check out a motorized scooter. His car is kaput and we can't afford to buy another one so we are looking at alternate forms of transportation to get him to work every day. It's about 3 miles with some hills. He and Emma tried out some of the non-motorized ones and apparently had a blast. We'll see. Try as I might, I can't help but lament the fact that if we didn't have a massively large student loan payment (with no degree to show for it-- boo!) we could actually afford to fix our car or get a modest replacement. Not to mention that the minimum payment we can make on the student loans is not even enough to cover the interest. So our owing balance will just keep rising and rising every month (for 30 years until the government will forgive the remaining hundreds of thousands of dollars we owe). So investing in a new car seems extremely unwise when we've got that looming over our heads. Ugh. But "Count Your Blessings, Name Them One By One!"


Meanwhile, Brooke and I stayed home watching episodes of PBS's Arthur and eating licorice. We snuggled on the coach and talked about school and how she decided not to play with a boy who was "being inappropriate." (I think he was talking about his private). I told her I was really proud of her for making a good choice. He's a boy that said he wanted to marry her the first week of school and now she's saying if he keeps being like that, she's not going to marry him-- she's "just going to break up at the wedding."
Then we listened to the radio and she helped me pack for TAHOE (can. not. wait).
Then we read "David Goes to School" and laid in her bed of freshly clean sheets and blankets talking about Jesus and when she will see him again. She kissed me on the forehead and I scratched her back. Alan and Emma came home happy after their adventure. A perfect Friday night. 

1 comment:

Christy said...

awww...that sounds perfect! I love how you describe everything in that post, I felt like I was there to! So did you guys buy a scooter? Maybe that one Ryan used to drive around at ByU-Idaho? oh, wait you guys were in Hawaii. ah, well it was fun to see Ryan drive around on a scooter.