It stinks because all my info is out there. ANYONE could have it and possibly always will. The cops said changing my driver's license number could cause new problems and won't really protect me. And you're not allowed to change your social unless you've had multiple identity theft incidents for a long period of time and doing so could cause new problems. In short, there's not much I can do other than placing a fraud alert with the credit bureaus so that if anyone tries to open a bank account or line of credit in my name with my social, the bank has to contact me.
They call themselves ACS (All Care Services) and say they're in New York. But everyone who has complained about them has been in CA. If they or anyone calls you with your personal info, don't confirm it, don't tell them anything. The scary part is, someone did open a Chase Bank account with my name and social security but I know ACS had something to do with it. They act like they're helping you try to find who did it, but they did it. They want you to believe they're on your side so they can get more information. For example, they asked if I have a checking account in good standing. Also, the police said there may have been a security breech in Health Net's data base a few months back, and we had Health Net Insurance for a while. So that could definitely be how they got my info. I've never lost my social security card or wallet.
I read this today, "In 2007, there were 8.4 million adult victims of identity theft, with a total cost of $49.3 billion." Be careful people!

1 comment:
So scary! I am so sorry that happened to you Cristi! What a stressful thing to deal with.
I had a girl once at Baskin Robbins take my debit card to the back with her for some reason, and I immediately went over so I could see what she was doing and I saw her take out her phone and take a picture of my card!! You bet I spoke up right away and she had that "caught" look on her face. I told her to delete it and that I was contacting the manager and owner of the store. I think I scared her pretty bad. haha! But it made me realize you can't trust anyone, which is so sad.
Now I am always hesitant when I have to give that information out. I don't, unless I HAVE to. Otherwise, I tell them, no you don't need my birthday or Social security number for whatever. A lot of times when I am filling stuff out online I give a fake birth-year. I am overly paranoid I think.
I hope they can find out more about this so called company and I hope nothing else happens to you or your credit.
Post a Comment